Saturday, July 15, 2017

Beer! Glorious Beer!

2nd Shift Brewing and Tasting Room on the Hill. Hallelujah!



As you may know by now, my beverage choice comes before food. So when 2nd Shift relocated their brewery from New Haven I was thrilled. The move stopped just a block into the Hill boundaries. It’s also in the middle of an industrial area, and it can be difficult to find. You’re going to have to figure it out all by yourself just like we did. www.2ndshiftbrewing.com/

Bob and I stopped by 2nd Shift to check it out earlier this year. Since they didn’t serve food yet, we didn’t include 2nd Shift. I guess we do have some rules in this endeavor. (However, we can change them whenever we want.)



Bob and I drank our way through many of the beers. Getting through the 30 or so will take a few more visits. My favorite of the night was Katy, an American Brett saison. Bob liked Art of Neurosis, an India pale ale. Yes, microbreweries often go crazy with beer names, maybe to mirror some of the unique beer styles. The beverage menu also contains guest beers and several wines. I guess soft drinks are available.



2nd Shift has a small kitchen which was operated by Mission Taco Joint. We had pub pretzels, a duck quesadilla and brisket nachos – all quite tasty. (No photo, so use your imagination.)

While the space itself is like a warehouse; the arrangement of various tables, a wall of barrels and some quality tunes make for a pleasant tasting room.



Like many bars, 2nd Shift offers shelves of games, magazines and books; probably to keep patrons occupied so they drink more beer. Smart trend.










We enjoyed a fun surprise when Meg and Pat joined in our festivities. We listened to some diverse tunes (Blondie, Beatles, Bruce, Beach Boys…) and drank more beer.



Through the barrel wall, I spied some employees standing around a table just chatting. I couldn’t help myself, so I barged in on their conversation. I introduced myself and found I was talking with the owner and head brewer, Steve Crider, as well other employees and friends. Most were new to town and wanted to know just about everything – mainly restaurants and bars. I helped them out as much as I could. I didn’t take the beer they offered. I know, shocking. Even I have a limit.




Of course, we will visit 2nd Shift Brewing again. After we finish the rest of our Hill of a Year…

No comments:

Post a Comment