Sunday, June 4, 2017

A BLAST FROM THE PAST!

Full Disclosure:  

In another life....I was a paid journalist.  I'm not at all pretending that I was good at it.  I will only say that I got paid to write articles and even "gussy them up' with photos that I took and then processed in a darkroom in my basement.







A long time ago in a galaxy far,far away....  I used to be a beat reporter for Bugle Newspaper....the "World's Softest Newspaper - Lavatory Tested."  My beat was The Hill.  I covered retiring cops, ventriolquist priests, neighborhood associations.....And I covered Milo's on the Hill.

Clip from my personal file on Milos..back when I was apparently, Robert Merz.  Photo by Bob Merz.
So, just a mere 27 years ago.... I covered this busisness. And it is still there

Milo's has staying power.  It is a neighborhood bar that has a long and rich history.  Just click here and read a nice history provided by, coincidentally enough, my former highschool principal.  I love the fact that there are so many fantastic nicknames involved with the history of this building and business...   “Toots” Pezzani, Joe “Bull” Panneri,  “P.I.” Pisoni , or even  “Butch” Grassi.  Just some great names. Seriously, it is a good history of the building and business, and it covers everything that I would put into a blog post.  Click on that different colored text above to read it.






Anyway, Mel and I went here to eat this past Friday.  This is first and foremost a bar.  But the food was pretty good.  I got the Chicken Parmesan...and Mel got (you guessed it) a veggie sandwich. 


 Mine was pretty solid.  Mel really liked hers.  It's the bread that makes it.  And I will say, with so many of the restaurants on The Hill, it is typically the bread is that makes the sandwich.  There are several fantastic bakeries on The Hill, and all the restaurants seem to buy locally.  So... good for the consumer.

They also have daily specials.




Milo's has the premier Bocce Courts in St. Louis.  If you would like to play...they have open play from 11 am - 6 pm most days.  Bocce is reasonably big in St. Louis.    


In fact, when I was a kid, men would play this every weekend at the park about 1/2 block from my house.  It was part of the fabric of my childhood.  Click here for some of the rules.




Drop by for the food (worth it), the Bocce (pronounced "Bow-chay"....not "Botch-ee."), or just beer with some locals.   I'm really glad that I went back....27 years later.



No comments:

Post a Comment